PB works is an online team collaboration, the productivity application that I use for my work recently. It is similar to Google Docs but more functional. Besides the typical programs like word processing, spreadsheets, project management, it also contains wiki and enable users share the information with people outside the team by URL link.
I think it is a useful Web 2.0 tool that can be used in academic enviornments. Actually, more than 300,000 educational workspaces has been established on PBworks. Teachers, parents and students can interact effectively by using it. In comparison with Google Doc, PBworks seems more professional in team work. The basic edition is for free.
The things we can do with PBworks:
- Class Resources - Publish class notes, PowerPoint lectures, schedules and policies; show off examples of great student work.
- Group Projects - Build collaborative pages, start discussions and encourage comments.
- Parent Outreach - Keep parents involved. Post assignments, key dates and volunteer lists. All available at home, from work, or anywhere.
- Student Portfolios - Give students their own page to post content, upload homework, and share their work.
- Expand Horizons - Share and interact with other classrooms or groups, across town or around the world.